With fresh, whole cranberries showing up in the markets in the fall, this is the perfect quick bread to make for the holidays. The tart cranberries in this bread keep it from being overly sweet and with only two tablespoons of oil it is on the lighter side. It makes a great breakfast or afternoon treat and freezes well to have on hand for company.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease one 8 1/2-inch X 4 1/2-inch metal loaf pan or three 5 3/4 by 3 1/4 loaf pans or 12 muffin cups. I use the food processor to chop the cranberries by pulsing 3 or 4 times.
Servings 1 loaf
- 3 large oranges
- 1 large egg beaten to blend
- 2 tablespoons Canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh cranberries coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter melted
- 1-2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 pinch salt
- orange zest remaining zest from one orange
- Remove the zest from one orange and set aside. To get a fine textured zest use a microplane. Juice the oranges and measure out 3/4 cup and reserve the rest.
- In a medium bowl combine the 3/4 cup orange juice, half of the zest, beaten egg and oil.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add orange juice mixture and stir just until moistened. Do not over-mix. (This is a good time to use the Danish Dough Whisk).
- Fold in cranberries and nuts and pour into prepared pan(s). Bake in preheated 350°F oven, 50 to 60 minutes for large loaf pan, 40 to 45 minutes for small loaf pans, 20 to 25 minutes for regular muffins and 35 minutes for jumbo muffins. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes and then remove to rack to cool. Muffins can be removed immediately.
- In small bowl add confectioners sugar, butter, 1 tablespoon orange juice, pinch of salt and remaining zest. Whisk until smooth. If too thick, add more orange juice. Drizzle over cooled loaves or muffins. Enjoy!
Nuts always taste better toasted. To toast, spread on cookie sheet in single layer and put in 350°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan and let cool.
Leave a Reply