This is a very old recipe that used to be my go to quick dinner. It can be put together in less than 30 minutes and reheats well. It can also be frozen for another quick meal. Feel free to substitute ground turkey or chicken for the beef or beefless ground to make it vegan. This will go with almost any side dish, however, fries are popular with kids (and my husband). Many recipes call for the addition of ketchup, however, I prefer to use plain tomato sauce and add my own spices and a little brown sugar. This allows me to control the sweetness and spiciness.
Servings 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef for Vegan try Beefless Ground
- 2-4 tbsp. brown sugar to taste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 whole hamburger rolls
- 1 bag sweet potato fries frozen (or side dish of choice)
- Bake the french fries as directed on package. They should be done when sandwiches are done.
- Sauté onion in oil over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add the ground beef breaking up as you cook, until brown, about 10 minutes.
- In small bowl mix the brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Mix into the meat and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve over rolls. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply