There have to be hundreds of chocolate chip cookie recipes out there but this basic recipe comes out chewy and crispy every time and I see no reason to mess with it. I have tried many variations over the years but I made these recently and they were just plain good. Try using bittersweet chips which are slightly bigger than the regular ones. A good brand is Ghirardelli bittersweet chips which are 60% cacao. A dozen cookies should easily fit on a cookie sheet giving you a cookie that’s the perfect size.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips or M & M's
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans chopped
- In small bowl sift together the flour and baking soda. Add salt and set aside.
- In large bowl beat butter, sugars, egg and vanilla until creamy.
- Stir flour into creamed mixture.
- Add chocolate chips (or M & M's) and nuts and stir just until combined.
- Drop by tablespoons onto lightly greased cookie sheet about 2-inches apart. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately remove to rack to cool.