Homemade Cranberry Relish beats out canned cranberry sauce every time. The ingredients are simply fresh cranberries, orange juice, diced apple, brown sugar and cinnamon. The amount of sugar can be adjusted according to your taste, whether that be tart or sweet. Whole, fresh cranberries are a must but you can buy them ahead and freeze them. That way you will have on hand if you decide to make Cranberry-Orange Bread.
Cranberry, Orange and Apple Relish
- 1 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries
- 1 whole apple peeled and diced
- 1/4-1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 whole orange zested & juiced
- Rinse and pick through the cranberries discarding any that are soft or mushy. Put in 1-quart heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Peel and dice the apple and add to cranberries. Add the brown sugar (more or less according to your taste) and mix.
- Add the orange juice, cinnamon, salt and zest. Be sure to zest the orange before you cut and juice it. You can use the juice from the zested orange plus additional to make 1/2 cup. Over medium-high heat bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool. This can be served warm or refrigerate and before serving remove from refrigerator and bring to room temperature. Enjoy!