I remember my mom making this chocolate frosting when I was a kid. Most kids love frosting and the sweeter the better. Nowadays I usually pass on anything covered with frosting as it’s usually much too sweet and not very flavorful. This frosting however, is amazing and incredibly smooth. What I love about it is it’s just sweet enough without overdoing it. I like to spread this on Wacky Cake as well as cupcakes. Now some of you might be leery of using a raw egg which is what is called for in this recipe. But in all my years of baking I have never gotten sick from raw eggs not to mention who doesn’t taste the cookie dough or cake batter once in a while? If it really bothers you just leave it out but I think it gives the frosting its smooth, shiny appearance.
Mom's Chocolate Frosting
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate melted
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 large egg unbeaten
- Melt the chocolate in a pyrex measuring cup or glass bowl in the microwave for about 2 minutes at 50% power. Stir and if not completely melted, return to microwave for 30 more seconds and stir again. Repeat again if necessary but this should not take more than 3 minutes total time to melt.
- Pour the chocolate into a medium bowl. Add the sugar, water and vanilla and whisk until smooth. A small electric hand mixer works well for this.
- Beat in the egg until completely mixed.
- Add the softened butter and beat until smooth.
- This is enough frosting for 2 - 8 or 9-inch layers.
Leave a Reply