This recipe came from a very dear friend of mine whom I knew when I was living in Rhode Island. You won’t believe how simple this is to prepare. Pretty much everyone who eats meat loves fried chicken, however, deep frying it in gads of oil isn’t exactly the healthiest way to cook. This cooking method will give you crispy, flavorful fried chicken without the frying.
You can use a whole, cut up chicken or just buy the pieces you like (leg, thigh, breast, wing). Be sure to buy bone-in chicken since this is cooked at a high temperature (450-degrees) and boneless chicken will be overcooked after an hour. For 5 adults and two small children I get 8 thighs, and 4 legs (about 4 pounds). Sometimes I throw in a few wings. Leftovers are always a treat so its better to err on the side of too much rather than not enough.
Oven Fried Chicken
- 4-5 pounds organic chicken pieces bone in with skin
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Add butter and oil to roasting pan and put in preheated oven until the butter is melted, 2-3 minutes. Watch carefully so the butter doesn't burn. Remove from oven when ready.
- After washing and drying the chicken pieces cut off all visible fat and extra skin. If there is too much fat in the pan, the chicken will be immersed in liquid and the skin will not be crispy.The skin keeps it moist while cooking and can be removed after cooking.
- Place flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder in a large bag (freezer bags work well) and toss to mix. Add chicken a few pieces at a time and shake in bag until covered with flour. Remove from bag, shaking off excess flour and place in roasting pan, skin side down. Repeat with remaining chicken and add to pan.
- Place pan in preheated 450°F oven and cook for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, turn chicken pieces over and bake for another 30 minutes.
- When done remove from pan, place on serving plate and enjoy!