When you want to have a little taste of everything on Thanksgiving Day this Pumpkin Praline Tart fits the bill. It is just the right amount of pumpkin and spice and oh so good. The tart shell is almost like a cookie rather than a pie shell and stands up well to the wet filling. The recipe calls for pecans but feel free to substitute walnuts (just be sure to toast them). This is great to bake for the holidays because it makes an attractive presentation but feel free to make it any time of the year.
Praline Pumpkin Tart
You will need an 11-inch tart pan.
Servings 12 servings
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel grated
- 11 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier optional
- 2-4 tablespoons ice water
- 1 pinch salt
- rice flour for dusting
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar packed
- 1/3 cup pecans toasted and ground
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 1 16 oz. can pumpkin Preferably organic
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream whipped
- 12 whole toasted pecan halves optional
To make crust:
- In a food processor, combine flour, sugar, lemon peel and salt. Add butter and pulse until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add Grand Marnier (if using), then while pulsing processor, gradually add ice water one tablespoon at a time, until it comes together. Flatten into a disk and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- On lightly floured surface (use rice flour here) roll dough out into a 13-inch circle about 1/8-inch thick. Fit into 11-inch tart pan and form edges. Prick bottom with fork, cover with plastic wrap and freeze until firm.
- The easiest thing to do is make the tart crust ahead, up to a month, and freeze it. It will then be on hand when you want to make the tart.
To make praline layer:
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Stir in ground pecans and spread mixture onto bottom of tart shell.
- Bake in 450°F oven for 10 minutes. This creates the praline layer. Let cool.
To make filling:
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- In small saucepan add evaporated milk and water and bring just to a boil. Take off heat and remove any skin that may have formed on top.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs together. Add the pumpkin, granulated sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt.
- Stir in the milk mixture and whisk together. Pour over praline layer and bake at 350°F for 50 to 60 minutes or until set but still slightly soft in center.
- Cool and serve with whipped cream. Optionally top with 12 toasted pecan halves.
Leave a Reply