These bran muffins are not like any you have had before. The addition of banana makes them extra moist and the molasses and brown sugar add just enough sweetness. I have made them with and without muffin liners but they tend to stick to muffin papers so I use a non-stick muffin pan that has been lightly sprayed with oil. They also freeze very well.
Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease 12 muffin forms (non-stick work well).
Servings 12 muffins
- 2 cups bran flakes Miller's Bran
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup raisins or currants
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 3 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
- 1 small, ripe banana mashed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon banana liquor or rum optional
- 1 cup whole wheat flour stone ground
- 1 tablespoon oat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Put the bran flakes in a large mixing bowl and stir in the boiling water. Add the buttermilk, currants (or raisins), and banana liquor (if using) and mix.
- In a separate bowl, using an electric hand mixer or wooden spoon, cream the butter and brown sugar. Mix in the molasses and mashed banana. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well. At this point the mixture will look curdled but that's fine.
- Pour the sugar and butter mixture into the bran mixture and combine. Add the whole-wheat flour, oat flour, baking soda, and salt and stir until blended but do not over mix.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin tins (a 2-inch ice cream scoop works well), filling them to the top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until tester comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. These freeze well Enjoy!
Leave a Reply