This cornbread is super easy and quick to make and a perfect accompaniment to a nice hearty chili. If you don’t like your cornbread too sweet just decrease the sugar to 1/3 or 1/4 cup. I like to use medium grind cornmeal to give it that earthy flavor but if you have kids they might prefer the fine grind. What I also like about this recipe is that it rises well and gives you a decent square of cornbread when cut. You can also make it at the last minute, just give it about 20 minutes to cool before serving.
Servings 12 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal fine or medium grind
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F and grease an 8-inch by 8-inch pan.
- In a large bowl combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- In small bowl whisk together egg, milk and oil. Pour into dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Pour into greased pan.
- Bake in preheated 400-degree oven for 20-25 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply